Friday, January 22, 2010

The Atonement

I feel so blessed right now. Lately, I have wanted to get up in fast and testimony meeting and express my love and faith in the Lord who has given me everything but lately it has been hard to get up. (new wards do that I guess) I will next time but in the mean time I would like to share my testimony on here. I find myself wondering where the word testimony comes from. Maybe it has the word test in it because you only gain one if you test your faith or allow your faith to be tested. Just wondering.

I have recently learned that the atonement is for many different kind of hurts. The Savior suffered through our pain so that he would know how to succor us in our time of need, whatever that time may be. The atonement isn't just something that we talk about and feel forgiven because of. It is so much more. It is sometimes called the infinite atonement. I have realized this has more to do with its infinite applications than anything. It is REAL power. It is not just something that allows us to be forgiven. It heals our souls, hearts, minds, and through blessings our bodies. It is the power that gives us hope and allows us to feel joy. Even those on the earth that know nothing about the atonement benefit from its infinite effects. I know this to be true. I know it because it has touched me and continues to do so everyday in more personal and meaningful ways. One of my favorite quotes is by Elder Boyd K Packer. He states, "Restoring what you cannot restore, healing what you cannot heal, fixing that which you broke and cannot fix is the very purpose of the atonement of Christ." When we are in our darkest times it may feel like there is no way to go on happily. We are broken. We cannot fix ourselves. No matter how hard we try the trial is sometimes insurmountable. At least without the atonement it is. The atonement makes impossibilities possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment